One more day and we are done with this year 2012. In the papers I saw what was on the front page. It said something about 13 things to look out for in the New Year. I would like to list 13 things to thank God for. . . as they come to my mind now, because one can never ever thank God enough.
1. Apart from God, I cannot live. Thank you for the gift of life. For every breath that I take, thank you, Lord.
2. I am grateful to have a family who loves me and cares for me. Even if we are not always together due to distance and other factors, we are united in spirit and we know that we are there for one another.
3. Thank God for the grace of knowing Jesus as my Saviour. Where would I be without the gift of faith? Faith in the one God who has made me and created me so that I may come to know him, love him and serve him, and then be happy with him for all eternity.
4. There is always time in my twenty four hours to put aside for prayer and meditation on God’s Holy Word. Thank you for the grace, dear Lord. I appreciate the gift of prayer and the grace to find you in all things. Praise God!
5. Who is my neighbour? Thank you for enlarging my faith, so to speak, and thus giving me the grace often to intercede for all in the world. I pray for humankind. I pray for all, believers and non believers who need to know the Lord. Praise God for the gift of being able to think of all as my neighbours.
6. Who helps me in my faith journey? The Lord has blessed me with good people – priests count as number one on the list. I thank God for my regular confessor, for my spiritual director, my mentor, my spiritual guide and teacher, my friends. . . .So many people journey with me. Thank you, Lord.
7. How can I forget the people who pray for me? I believe that there is always someone praying for me. They are the silent intercessors who love the Lord and pray for sinners. I qualify as I am a sinner on the journey still. Praise God!
8. Do you know who cares for your welfare? Lots of people, and I thank God for all whose talks are made available to me. I am always grateful for those who have written good homilies and post them on the internet so others may benefit. Thank God for those who share their wisdom through books as well, and I can count so many good spiritual writers.
9. Now is also the time to thank God for those who have helped me in days of recollection and especially in my annual retreat. I am so grateful to Fr Christopher Soh, SJ.He was my retreat master this year. I owe my gratitude to good Jesuits all these years!
10. Thank God for my companions on the journey – these are specifically my sisters in the Company of St Ursula in so many countries in the world. Praise God for each one of them!
11. I am grateful for the gift of being able to take pictures of people, places and anything that captures my attention. With one simple digital camera, I have been able to record my memories in photographs.
12. I thank God for the best trip I made this year to China and Inner Mongolia. So grateful to the CICM fathers for organising the trip. Thank God for the gift of all who spread the faith, especially missionaries. Thank God for the gift of the Catholic Church.
13. Thank God for our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI, and for our bishops everywhere. Thank God too for our parish priests and all other priests, for those who serve in ministries. And last but not least, I thank God for all my benefactors including wordpress staff for making it possible for me to blog my thoughts and share my life.
I shall end here – at 13 although I have many many more in my heart to be grateful and thankful for. Praise God!